Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's a little funny

After Jackie's graduation ceremony, we all came back to our house to take pictures with the graduate and watch the SHSU Bearkats football game. The Bearkats (ranked #1) are competing for their division title. The semifinal game was scheduled the same evening as Jackie's graduation.

Anyways... so we headed back to the house and prepared some appetizers before the game. We had chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, Christmas cookies and stuffed jalapenos to be exact. Mom, Josh and I had finished preparing all the food and we sat down to begin watching the game. A few minutes later witnesses spotted me running to the bathroom. I was found leaning over the sink doing a dance, singing "owe, owe, owe, owe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", and splashing water into my eyes. In addition to my singing I had quite a few curse words I was expressing (I don't think I had ever said so many bad words) Despite washing my hands twice after food preparation, I got jalapeno juice on the inner corner of both my eyes simultaneously. Initially it was just a tiny sting, but it spread rapidly to my eyes and sinuses. MY FACE WAS ON FIRE!!!!!

I couldn't do much for relief other than run cold water over my eyes. It was a little challenging because 1) I was pregnant so it was hard to bend over to the sink, 2) Both eyes stung really badly,but I could only wash one at a time, and 3) I was wearing contacts and I knew I had to take them out in order to not cause damage to my eyes and get all the stinging to stop. I removed the right contact lens first... if you have ever taken a suction cup window cling off the window.... that is exactly what it felt and sounded like. It really hurt so I focused on washing that eye out. A few minutes later I realized I needed to do that to the other eye (DAMN!). In the midst of all that... it was doing a number on my sinuses. My snot was literally FLOWING out of my nose!!!! GROSS!

Ultimately I was in the bathroom dancing, singing, cursing and washing my eyes for at least 15 minutes... it hurt so bad I really don't know how long it was. The best part was we hadn't taken pictures yet so I have a red face and eyes for Jackie's graduation pictures. For the next 30 minutes I sat in the chair with an ice pack to help relieve the heat.



Lesson Learned... I am going to wear gloves next time I handle Jalapenos!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny. Same thing happened to me, but I just refuse to handle jalapenos now. Someone else does or we don't have them.

    ReplyDelete