Saturday, December 31, 2011

Baby Andrew Update

As most of you know, Baby Andrew has arrived!




Andrew Lee Elliott


December 20, 2011


Born at 7:08pm


7 lbs. 3 oz. 19 3/4 in.



We went into the hospital Tuesday, December 20th at 4:00am to be in induced even though I was already having some small contractions. My water broke very early in the morning and progressed well through out the day until late afternoon. There were a few scary moments throughout the day, but overall it was a piece of cake (Thank God for an Epidural - I only made it to 9:30am without it).


Things changed when at 5:30pm the nurse came in and said it is time to "take the baby". We were like, "What do you mean, 'take the baby?'". She responded with "Cesarean". Mom, Josh and I were all shocked. Although we knew labor had slowed down, this was the first time anyone had mentioned there was an issue or a concern with a natural delivery. I immediately got anxious for many reasons... I wasn't even thinking about having a c-section, my Doctor had a family emergency to attend to so I was stuck with the on-call Doctor, I was worried about being off work longer, I knew I would have a slower re-cooperation period, and it was the first time someone had mentioned that the baby's heart rate was dropping with each contraction. I think mom and Josh were more concerned than I was because they kept fighting the issue, I just wanted it to be over with. I wasn't worried about the surgery at all. They do them all the time (I had read that 40% of births are Cesarean).

We had to wait for an opening in the operating room. I was rolled into the OR at 6:53pm, 15 minutes later - Andrew was born! I think I left the OR at 7:23pm. I knew it was a fast procedure, but that was really fast!

We were released from the Hospital Thursday afternoon (Andrew was only 42 hours old). Naturally, I was moving slower, but for just having a Cesarean I was moving at lightning speed. I felt fine and Andrew was doing well so we headed home - I knew we would feel even better once we got home.

Fast Forward 11 days...
We have had many visitors (both at the hospital and at home), a few webcam dates, and one outing to the pediatrician's office. We don't have any more visitors planned so Andrew is stuck with just Mom and Dad! This next week Andrew has a two week check up with the Pediatrician and I have a two week check up as well. Next weekend, we will take our first road trip. We are headed to Dallas. Josh wants to attend the SHSU national championship game which is being held in Frisco, TX (just a few miles down the road from Mimi and Poppi's house).

No comments:

Post a Comment