Friday, June 3, 2011

Doctor Appt. #2


Well I am in my 11th week of pregnancy. This picture was taken today, you can kind of see a "pouch" developing. Unfortunately Josh had clinic this morning so I had to go to my second appointment by myself, but we would both rather him go the later appointments as it gets closer to having the baby. During my visit today I had a normal check up in addition to some special testing for down syndrome.


Currently, more women are electing the first trimester combined test, done in two steps during week 11 to 13 of pregnancy. The first trimester combined test includes:


Ultrasound:
The doctor uses ultrasound to measure a specific region on the back of a baby's neck. This is known as a nuchal translucency screening test. When abnormalities are present, more fluid than usual tends to collect in this tissue.

Blood tests:
Results of the ultrasound are paired with blood tests that measure levels of pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) and a hormone known as human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG). Abnormal levels of PAPP-A and HCG may indicate a problem with the baby.

We had quite the ordeal trying to get the baby to cooperate - it was being very stubborn today (maybe it's a boy). The first ultrasound we had a view of the right profile - the baby was not moving, just kicking. So the technician said maybe if you go to the bathroom and relieve your bladder it will move, I said okay it's worth a shot. So I did and guess what? The baby moved! ... just not in the right direction. It was then laying on it's belly. In order to do the test she needed the baby to be laying on it's back. After some coaching and poking the baby was still not cooperating. So the technician suggested I meet with the Dr. and then come back and try it again.

I met with the Dr. very briefly. I have not had any complications or sickness so she said we'll draw your blood and see you in 4 weeks. Then it was back to the ultrasound room. Well, surprise, surprise, the baby still wasn't in the right position. The technician poked and jiggled my belly and poked and jiggled some more and finally the baby curled up in a ball laying on it's back. She quick took the measurement and printed some pictures and then I was on my way to work for the day. The pictures of the baby curled up were not as cool as the one below. This is like looking at the baby as if it were laying on the floor looking up at you. You clearly see the head, arms, chest and legs. Isn't that cool!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You don't even look pregnant yet. Bring on the baby belly! Can't wait to me Steffanie, Samantha or Candy...whatever you and your father can agree on! (Inside jobke) LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Dee had one to many when writing this comment.

    ReplyDelete