Monday, August 26, 2013

HFMD - 2, Andrew - 0

Thursday afternoon when I picked up Andrew from daycare, he had a fever. I noticed he had red bumps on his butt and feet... hmmmm this looks awfully familiar.  Hand Foot and Mouth Disease strikes again!

He couldn't go to daycare on Friday so we lounged at home and watched cartoons. Since it's a virus there is nothing you can do but give him pain reliever. Symptoms subsided on Sunday.

However, the story doesn't end there!  Saturday I woke up with crusty eyes. I haven't had that happen to me in years, but I didn't think much of it until later that afternoon my eyes got really red and they began to hurt.  I then put the symptoms together and realized I had pink eye!  I went to CareNow clinic that evening to get an antibiotic so I can start feeling better and hopefully limit the spread of the virus.  After speaking with the DR. about my week she said that Andrew's HFMD rarely affects adults, but they can still get it.  Well, when that happens apparently the virus can mutate or morph or whatever she called it and can become another virus. In my instance, Pink Eye!  I got my antibiotic and felt better within 24 hours.  Although the story doesn't end there either!!!!  Sunday I started to get a few tiny bumps on my toes.  I thought they were ant bites because I was outside barefoot.  Well, day after day I got a couple more and they felt like pins and needles stabbing my feet every time I walked. I realized I got the traditional symptom of HFMD too!  Yippee!  Then I realized how poorly Andrew must have felt because he had way more spots than me! 

Luckily it only lasts about four days, so we recovered quickly. Thankfully, Josh did not get our cooties!

No comments:

Post a Comment